Sonas Training Course
NMBI Category 1 approved
(19 CEU points)
On completion of this 3-day course, a person is certified as a Sonas Licensed Practitioner.
The course is suitable for nurses, Allied Health professionals, Activity Co-ordinators, Care assistants, and others caring for with people with dementia. Accredited by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland.
Course Learning Outcomes
The course takes place on three days over a 10 week period, and includes work-based learning.
By the end of this course, the student will:
- Be familiar with the different types of dementia
- Understand the role of feelings and the senses in communication.
- Have acquired different communication strategies.
- Have acquired the skills to carry out Sonas group and individual sessions.
- Have had practical experience of delivering and evaluating the Sonas programme.
- Know how to integrate the Sonas programme in care planning.
- Have joined a network of peers, all of whom are implementing the Sonas programme.
- Be able to use moodle, an e-learning platform for SLPs that gives the user access to resources, tutors and an SLP forum.
How to get the Sonas Licence if you attended the previous 2-day Sonas workshop
Sonas training was expanded into a 3-day course in 2012. If you attended the previous 2-day Sonas workshop anytime since 2002, you can get the Sonas Licence by attending a Practical Skills Day.
Those who were Sonas-trained prior to 2002 must attend the 3-day Sonas course for certification as SLPs.